Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Where is a guy as fine as a flower?

Act 1. Scene 3. A room in Capulet's house.



Lady Capulet. Nurse, Where is my daughter? Call her for me.



Nurse. I swear by my virginity by age 12, i told her to come. Come on where is she? What is she doing? What Juliet?



Juliet. What? Who is calling me?



Nurse. Your mom



Juliet. Madam, I am here. What do you want?



Lady Capulet. I'll tell you what is the matter! Nurse, leave us be for a while please. We need to speak alone. Nurse come back! I forgot you can listen to our secret conversation. You know how young my daughter is.



Nurse. Yes! I know her age, even the hours she's been alive.



Lady Capulet. She isn't 14



Nurse. I'd bet 14 teeth of my own, but sorry to say I only have 4 of my own, she's not 14. How long until August 1st and harvest?



Lady Capulet. 2 weeks and a few days.



Nurse. No matter the days, On Lammas eve, she will be 14. Juliet and my daughter, Susan, are the same age. Susan passed and is with God, and was too good for me. But as I mentioned she will be 14 on Lammas eve. I remember it well, since the earthquake eleven years ago. She stopped nursing from me that day. I will never forget putting the bitter wormwood on my breast. I sat in the sun under the dovehouse. You with Lord Capulet where in Mantua. Dang I have a good memory! My child didn't like the taste of the wormwood and that is when the earthquake happened. I knew to get out of there! Eleven years ago she could stand on her own, and i swear could run and waddle around. I remember because she cut her forehead the previous day. My husband, rest his soul, picked her up and asked "Did you fall or your face? It would be smarted to fall backwards!" If I lived for ever, I'd never forget! He asked her to stop crying and she said yes and did.



Lady Capulet. Enough! Please be quiet.



Nurse. Yes madam, I think it is funny, the child stopped and said yes! I swear a huge bump on her head! She was crying bitterly. "Did you fall or your face? It would be smarted to fall backwards!" She said yes.



Juliet. Now stop Nurse please.



Nurse. Peace! I'm done. May good give you his grace. You where the prettiest baby I have nursed. My biggest wish is to see you married.



Juliet. An honor I don't dream of!



Nurse. "Honor?" If you didn't suck wisdom from my breast, of that I fed you.



Lady Capulet. Thinking about marriage now. Girls younger than you have been married, and those of nobler families, have children of their own. I had a child at your age and your still a virgin. I say this fast! Paris wants you to be his bride.



Nurse. What a catch young lady! He is great as any in the whole world. He is a model man!



Lady Capulet. There is not a flower in Verona finner than him!



Nurse. No he is a very fine flower!



Lady Capulet. What do you think, can you love this man? Tonight you will meet him at our dinner. Look at him close and find the beauty in his face. See how each feature enhances the other. If you get lost, look into his eyes! Only a bride would make him perfect! As fish have the right to live in the sea, he has the right to a beautiful bride such as yourself! Many adore him, and his bride would be admired. You would lose nothing!



Nurse. No less? You get bigger! Men make women pregnant to grow.



Lady Capulet. Talk fast, will you take Paris' love?



Juliet. I will try to love him. I'll look at him in a way to like him.I will not look harder than you will permit.



Servingman. Madam, guests have arrived, dinner is served, people are asking for you, Juliet has been asked for, and the Nurse is being cursed by people in the pantry. Nothing is in order! I must return and please follow me!



Lady Capulet. We will follow! Juliet the County awaits you.



Nurse. Go girl, seek happy nights and days!

2 comments:

PK said...

Nicely done Danielle. I've always enjoyed this scene with Juliet and her mother talking marriage. Good choice. Score: 30/30

☆Merrrcedes☆ said...

pshhh lame! with a capital L haha just kidding everybody did this scene. I wonder why? Hmmmmm....